Boston, MA – The National Association of Corporate Directors New England Chapter (NACDNE) today announced the recipients of the Seventh Annual 2013 Director of the Year Awards. NACDNE is the leading source in New England for corporate governance information, education and training for directors and CEOs who are committed to raising standards and improving boardroom performance. Each year, NACDNE recognizes board members and boards from public, private and nonprofit organizations who exemplify the key attributes of outstanding directors. NACDNE will present the awards to the recipients at a formal recognition ceremony on April 11 at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel.
“NACDNE’s Director of the Year Awards honor those who uphold the highest professional standards for corporate governance,” said R. Robert Popeo, President of NACDNE and Chairman and President of Mintz Levin. “On the heels of the greatest financial meltdown in modern day history and the resulting sweeping regulatory reforms such as the Dodd-Frank Act, this is a demanding environment for corporate boards. It is more important than ever to recognize effective boardroom leaders who guide companies through challenging times by making tough decisions with foresight and integrity.”
This year, NACDNE is pleased to recognize three individual board members and two boards that uphold the highest professional standards for corporate governance while maximizing shareholder and customer value. More than 40 New England directors worked collaboratively to determine the slate of Honorees. This year’s honorees include:
• Lifetime Achievement in Governance: Samuel O. Thier, M.D., Former CEO, Partners HealthCare System; Director of Charles River Laboratories; former Director of Merck & Co., Inc. and Federal Reserve Bank of Boston; member of the Board of Overseers of Cornell University Weill Medical College, of Brandeis University Heller School for Social Policy and Management, and Dean’s Advisors of Harvard School of Public Health.
• Leadership in Corporate Governance: Cathy E. Minehan, Dean of the School of Management at Simmons College, retired CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston; Director of VISA Inc., Partners Healthcare System, and the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company; Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Massachusetts General Hospital; former Director of Becton Dickinson and MITRE Corporation; Chairman of the Executive Committee of the University of Rochester Board of Trustees and Chairman of the Massachusetts Governor’s Council of Economic Advisors.
• Myra H. Kraft Award for Non-Profit Leadership: Stephen G. Woodsum, Co-Founder, Summit Partners, Chair of the National Board of City Year, Director of Boys & Girls Clubs of Boston; Director of Massachusetts General Hospital; member of Overseers at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and Trustees of the Boston Harbor Island Alliance. Former Board Chair of the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center and Buckingham Browne and Nichols School. Former Director of Jumpstart for Young Children, CIDCO, Clean Harbors, Information Builders, QMS and Superior Services.
• Public Company Board of the Year: CVS Caremark, Larry J. Merlo, President and Chief Executive Officer; David W. Dorman, Non-Executive Chairman; C. David Brown II, Anne M. Finucane, Kristen E. Gibney Williams, Marian L. Heard, Jean-Pierre Millon, C.A. Lance Piccolo, Richard J. Swift and Tony L. White
• Private Company Board of the Year: Polar Beverages, Ralph D. Crowley, Jr., President, CEO and Acting Chair; Christopher J. Crowley, Richard W. Anderson, Jeffery L. Dickson, Frederick W. Ferbert, Jr., Lincoln Isetta, M. Howard Jacobson, Michael S. McGrath and Carolyn C. Stimpson.
“I’m honored to be among this distinguished group of award recipients who are being recognized for exemplary boardroom leadership,” said Cathy E. Minehan, Dean of the School of Management at Simmons College. “In today’s ever-evolving business environment, effective corporate governance is critical to a company’s ability to grow, thrive and sustain.”
“CVS Caremark’s Board of Directors plays a pivotal role in helping our company fulfill its purpose of putting people on their path to better health,” said Larry Merlo, President and CEO of CVS Caremark. “Thanks in part to the leadership and guidance of our Board, we are bringing forward innovative health care solutions that increase access to care, lower overall health care costs and result in positive health outcomes. We are pleased that this award recognizes our Board’s significant ongoing efforts to improve and enhance pharmacy care.”
The Seventh Annual NACD New England Chapter’s Director of the Year Awards event recognizes leadership and accomplishment of directors. This event is conducted by the only not-for-profit membership organization founded by and for corporate directors. Through the national presence in Washington, D.C. and more than 20 active regional chapters across the country, the NACD is the leading organization dedicated to enhancing corporate governance in the United States. The NACD Director of the Year Award has been presented nationally for more than 20 years.
The National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) mission is to advance exemplary board leadership -for directors, by directors. With more than 13,000 director and key executive members nationally, the NACD delivers the knowledge and insight that board members need to confidently navigate complex business challenges and enhance shareowner value. The NACD New England Chapter, which includes more than 2,500 regional directors and business leaders, offers a series of director-led programs to empower local directors to anticipate, influence, and meet boardroom challenges. Learn more about NACDNE membership and general governance information online at www.nacdne.org.
Founded in 1851, MassMutual is a leading mutual life insurance company that is run for the benefit of its members and participating policyowners. The company has a long history of financial strength and strong performance, and although dividends are not guaranteed, MassMutual has paid dividends to eligible participating policyowners consistently since the 1860s. With whole life insurance as its foundation, MassMutual provides products to help meet the financial needs of clients, such as life insurance, disability income insurance, long term care insurance, retirement/401(k) plan services, and annuities. In addition, the company’s strong and growing network of financial professionals helps clients make good financial decisions for the long-term.
MassMutual Financial Group is a marketing name for Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual) and its affiliated companies and sales representatives. MassMutual is headquartered in Springfield, Massachusetts and its major affiliates include: Babson Capital Management LLC; Baring Asset Management Limited; Cornerstone Real Estate Advisers LLC; The First Mercantile Trust Company; MassMutual International LLC; MML Investors Services, LLC, Member FINRA and SIPC; OppenheimerFunds, Inc.; and The MassMutual Trust Company, FSB.